Cooking for Geeks - Putting Science into Cookbooks
A Christmas Stocking Filler with a Difference
'Cooking for Geeks' is for anyone who wants to do more than follow a recipe. It's the perfect book for the curious, smart and hungry geek and those who need the answers to 'why' as much as 'how'.
'Cooking for Geeks' answers questions like 'how do your sense of taste and smell work?' and 'how does heat change our foods?' Plus, it includes the perfect blend of must-try recipes, rib-tickling anecdotes and challenges to put your new-found food science knowledge to the test. You can also discover:
• How to think like a geek and identify what type of cook you are
• The science behind the perfect crispy and chewy cookie
• Lab tests such as how to make ice-cream with salt and ice, genetic taste differences and how to use liquid nitrogen
• Recipes for fish tacos, perfect pan seared steak and 30 second chocolate cake, as well as how to make a 500-pound doughnut
• Interviews with science and food supremoes on subjects as varied as moulds and cheese, molecular gastronomy and taste and pleasure
Already published in six languages and with more than 100,000 copies sold, the second edition of Cooking for Geeks boasts more than 150 pages of completely new content, plus it's been converted from American measurements into English grams and milliliters.
The author is Jeff Potter, a self-confessed food geek, curious about the science of food and why ingredients and recipes work the way they do. He said: “By bringing science to food-minded people and food to science-minded people, there's the potential to make us all masters of the kitchen.
“From hot food issues such as what are trans-fats, to understanding the difference between organic, conventional and local foods, I created this new edition to help curious readers navigate their own food choices. There's lots of fun experiments and challenges so it's perfect for those cooks that want to know as much about why as how, and who are prepared to have a go for themselves.”
Published by O'Reilly Media, Cooking for Geeks has achieved wide acclaim in the author's native market of America. The book is available from all online retailers including Amazon, Wordery.com, Bookdepository.com, Hive.co.uk plus major high street retailers including Waterstones, Blackwells and Foyles.
If you want to find out more about Chef Wise go to the Chef Wise web site just follow the links below.