We're Having A Meatball Moment - And It's The Swedish Mum's Best Kept Secret That's Winning Us Over
As the trend for all things Nordic gathers pace, in particular its food culture, so are sales of the iconic Swedish recipe meatball. Scan Original Swedish Meatballs (www.scanmeatballs.com), the number one in Sweden and the UK, has been given a makeover with a new improved recipe. To mark the iconic Swedish Midsummer celebration, they've also been cooked up into a series of delicious recipes for celebrations this June.
Whilst in Britain sausages are our national culinary treasure - the fail-safe meal solution that never lets us down - for Swedish families it's their beloved meatballs. And now their favourite, ready-made meatball from Scan is fast becoming a regular feature on UK dinner tables too.
Savvy Swedish Mums regularly turn to Scan meatballs for cooking up quick, tasty and nutritious meals - now with 12.5% less salt and no artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives. With a huge following across the two countries, they've been nicknamed the kitchen 'cheat' by mums who love their authentic, homemade taste, fresh herbs and spices. Because they are ready-made, busy mums can spend less time in the kitchen and enjoy more 'me' time – as well as tucking into a plate of delicious tasting food.
With meatballs a must-have on the Swedish Midsummer party menu and popularity for the tradition-steeped Summer Solstice celebrations growing in the UK too, Scan has created a series of quick, easy and delicious recipes designed to encourage families to get behind their own Midsummer's Eve parties – or any other occasion. Mingling Swedish and British tradition and ingredients, the recipes are perfect for revamping family mealtimes, embracing Scandinavian culture and tempting taste buds with something new. Easy to make and tasty too, they're sure to end up as family favourites for UK mums:
Spicy BBQ Meatballs with Mango Salsa
Mediterranean Meatball Tart
Meatball Kebabs with Pressed Cucumber Salad and Flatbreads
Mixed Meatball Smörgåsbord
Spicy Meatball and Noodle Salad
Bahn Mi - Thai open sandwich with meatballs
Teriyaki Meatball Stir Fry
Meatballs in Lingonberry Sauce with Jansson's Frestelse
Scan Original Swedish Meatballs come ready-cooked, can be eaten hot or cold and make the ultimate, convenient and versatile ingredient for lots of recipes. Heating them through takes just minutes in the oven, on the hob or in the microwave.
• Eat cold in salads, pasta and rice dishes
• Ideal pick-up food for parties and picnics
• Delicious eaten in the traditional Swedish style with potatoes, cream sauce and lingonberry
• Perfect for adding into a whole host of recipes, from pizza and casserole, to stir fry, curry and sandwiches, or for coming up with your own ideas.
Throwing your own Swedish Midsummer Eve celebration? Here's Scan's guide on what not to forget:
• The Smörgåsbord – try pickled herring, meatballs, mini sausages and gravad lax
• The drinks – plenty of cold beers and snaps, preferably a spiced snaps (cumin, rosemary and star anise are popular)
• A variety of breads and crisp breads, a Swedish favourite
• Pick 7 different kinds of flowers and put them under your pillow so you'll dream of the person you are going to marry
• The Maypole – great if you can build one but, if not, just make sure there's plenty of music and dancing
• Flower headbands for the girls – use artificial flowers if you can't find fresh or dried versions
• Lots of family and group games including tug of war, egg and spoon race and 'kubb' which is a very popular game originally from Gotland which involves knocking down bricks of wood with other bricks of wood - lots of fun!
The new lower salt Scan Original Meatballs are available in Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Asda and Ocado in two convenient pack sizes: 230g, RRP £2.00 (serves 2) and 395g, RRP £3.25 (serves 4).
Follow Scan Meatballs on Facebook and Twitter:
Facebook: Scan Meatballs
Pinterest: Scan Meatballs