Now it was not until recently that I had not heard of this drink piscola. In fact, I had not heard of Pisco. I thought that it had been mispronounce or that I had misheard what was being said. But as I was reassured, that I had not misheard and that it was not an alcoholic drink. At first, I thought it was just one of the new kinds of youth drinks that we call Alco pops. Strong in alcohol but with loads of sugar to disguise the taste. Not some thing that I would like to drink but ever popular as time goes on.

But I was wrong and was informed that Pisco was a South American spirit made from grapes had never heard of it before so I had a little look around and found that it had first been made in South America in Peru.

Apparently, Spanish settlers in an attempt to make a cheap from of Spanish brandy had started to distil alcohol. This was in a town called Pisco so that is were it got its name from.

Now like most grate spirits it has a history and is somewhat contested by who you think produced it first.

Two counties seem to lay clam to the fact that they are the first and there for the best producer of the drink and that is Chile and Peru. Now both are in the same area and were in the sixteen century part of the Spanish empire and probably have at the same time developed the drink in more that one region.

But the fact that the drink is called Pisco and Pisco is a coastal in Peruthen I am more prone to give that to them. But then again it is said that Pisco was the main port from ware the spirit was shipped form and that is how it got the name and not because it was first made there. But I suppose it is like whisky and the Scottish and the Irish, or vodka and the Polish and Russians.

Both lay clam to making the first and have a good line of historic proof to prove it but it is some thing that will never be really solved until we develop time travel and go back to the first batch ever made and then give it to who ever is the winner .
As for the drink well it is a little like a brandy if not just a lighter in colure. In
Appearance it looked more like a white sprit, like gin. I personally thought that its taste was like a drink called Metaxas a Greek brandy, but also a little fruity. I am told that this comes form one of the main grapes in the region being the Muscat grape will explain this.

But how to make a Piscoal it could not be any simpler.

Take a large tall glass and place in the bottom some fresh sliced lemon. Then take some ice and fill the glass with it. Give the ice a good press down so that it helps release some of the juice from the lemon and the oils from the lemon zest.
Then take some Pisco and fill the glass about one third full. Then top up with your preferred brand of cola.

Having tried to make sense of who first produced Pisco first, I will not endeavour to try and decided what darned of cola to use. I will leave that up to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A recipe for perfect Yorkshire pudding

The Era Of Ultra-Premium Sipping Vodka - Discover The Ultimate Luxury Of British Made Quintessentially Vodka

The Lakes Distillery- Sealing Deals With Drams